Thread: Fringe

Default Fringe

Anyone watching Fringe ot there?
    It started airing on TV here last month and I have to say that while I was watching it mostly out of curiosity in the begining, I am now more and more captivated.
    (please no major spoiler, I am only at episode 5)

What is the show about? I saw commercials for it and all I know the main character is the guy from Dawson's Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by henryk View Post
    What is the show about? I saw commercials for it and all I know the main character is the guy from Dawson's Creek.
    Hmmm, difficult to summarise the show in one sentence. In sketchy words, a couple of FBI agents investigate on a series of events involving unusual phenomenons. It definitely borrows from X-files, but the pitch is a bit different: the phenomenons in question all have a "scientific" explanation, deriving from the works of a now retired physicist who used to operate in a sort of skunk works programme before ending up in a psychatric hospital. All cases seem to have something in common -although it is not quite clear what, hence they are referred to as "the pattern".

I have to say that in the beginning I found it too heavily inspired from "the X files" (a show which has much degenerated along seasons). But little by little it gains motion, and some of the feel and look of Lost (no surprise, it's from the same guy). I guess the whole question is whether the show will manage to find a convincing explanation for "the pattern".

Of course, if your level in physics is such that you argue with Lee Smolin on the codimension of the most appropriate Lie group to be used for the description of selectrons, then you may not be entirely convinced by the science in the show... But still I find it as reasonably convincing as possible in view of the content of the stories.