Thread: Linux Anyone?

Default Linux Anyone?

How many members use Linux? If so, what flavor?

I run Arch Linux with a Gnome 3 desktop as my main OS. Also run Windows Vista, Aptosid, and reserve one partition for testing different distros on the same pc. Also have a mythTV server that runs Debian Squeeze on an old pc.

Arch is by far my favorite distro (for desktop use).

I use Linux for most things that matter. Or did, until I bought a Mac Mini.
    I still use it, though, as a virtual machine, on the Mac.
    These days, I tend to prefer PCLinuxOS, although until recently it was always SuSE.
    The only possible use for Windows, and for me that means either Win2000 or WinXP, is games, or rather the one game I still play.
    Guild Wars ftw
    (Yes, I know: I am hopelessly out of touch!)

I used Linux, Ubuntu to be specific. Just been getting used to it for about a year because I have to use a Redhat version at work. Have Windows Vista as dual boot, but I prefer Linux now. No long boot up times, and everything seems to work faster. If you need some software to do something all you have to do is find an application through the synaptic package manager and install it. It's so easy. And you can try out different apps and choose which one suits you better because there is no need to pay for anything. For example I was using Openoffice for some spreadsheets I was working on and then switched to Gnumeric for another project because openoffice had some nuances that made it cumbersome for this particular task. Also, funny how fast you can get things done with bash once you get used to it.

I'm thinking of going through a book to get more familiar with bash, and then move on to a more "Linux" like distro of Linux. Some say Ubuntu is not the best distro there is for people more familiar with Linux.

I am quite happy with Windows environments. They give me all I want and are very stable with the software I use. I do not need to change

I've tried most of the popular distros over the years. Started with Redhat, then SuSE, Ubuntu, Debian, aptosid, and Arch. As I mentioned, I keep a partition specifically for testing distros, the latest one being PCLinusOS (nice distro, very easy to use...and it uses apt-get). I still think windows is a great OS despite the bad-mouthing that you find toward it online. That's why I still keep it on my computer. If well-maintained, Windows runs just as fast as Ubuntu and all the other bloated distros. I just personally have more fun with Linux given how much you can do with it.

Steric, if you decide to start using the less user-friendly distros, debian (base install) and Arch are good choices. They both have awesome package managers and allow you to customize the system from the ground up with relative ease.

Crow, I was pleasantly surprised at how neat PCLinuxOS is. Though they only have a 32 bit version, it still runs fast and is less bloated than some of the bigger distros. I'd definitely recommend it as a start for newer users.

I've played with a few Linux distros; Debian, Ubuntu, PuppyLinux, Fedora, and.. another bootable Linux distro, I forget the name. They're very functional. I was amazed, I learned a lot about PCs and the PC industry during that time period. I liked what I saw and used. Though, I really don't have a need to use a Linux distro. I can see how they would be the better option for more specific/functional uses and uses where cost is a major factor.

Currently using XP on my machines. Win7 on the laptop. I still play around with PuppyLinux. It has some very neat uses, comes in quite handy. I guess it could be considered my favorite.

I've been wanting to dive back into it. Mainly because I want to run a few servers. Also because I love collecting knowledge. I want to mod EQ and host it on my own server. Same with a few other games, sans the modding. Just hosting games on a private server for my friends.

My whole computing experience has changed since I bought a Mac Mini.
    I have read that people who use these feel an almost religious fervour for them, and I can see why
    I run OSX Snow Leopard, in the daytime, then reboot to Windows XP on the same machine, to play my only remaining game, in the late evening.
    A Mac running Windows is a thing to see!
    Windows seems to actually run better on a Mac than on a PC.
    Love it!

Oh: I also run linux on a virtualbox machine within OSX simply to get the patience card games that linux offers. Can't beat this for a truly versatile system.

I use to run Ubuntu a lot and it was really easy to customize it. The only downside of Linux was that you had to use wine to use windows programs on it. Which most people don't really need windows programs except if your in school. I really loved ubuntu but never really tried any other Linux flavors. Windows vista really tainted my view of windows but windows seven is pretty much a newer version of xp, which I believe was the best version. What would you say are the best versions of Linux?

PCLinuxOS is the fastest, prettiest, friendliest, most impressive overall that I have found. Before that I would have said SuSE Linux, which seems to have gone the bloat route lately.