Thread: English class

Default English class

I've just finished an English composition class in college and I'd consider it a breakthrough concerning my attitude toward my stutter. On the first day I was so accepting toward the fact that I stutter that I barely stuttered at all and no one knew. I answered the few things the teacher asked everyone and even said some things voluntarily. Before our first big reading in front of the class I told everyone that I stutter so don't be surprised if I pause or something... I stuttered, but I didn't care at all. I acted like it was normal, and that's how it felt. I stuttered through every other reading I had to do, sometimes I'd have a long string of fluency when voluntarily adding to class conversation because I didn't even care about my stutter enough to think about it every time I spoke. At the last day we had to read out loud what we wrote about one thing we had learned in the class. I wrote one longer than the teacher had asked, stuttered through the whole thing, sometimes bad blocks and secondary behaviors, I felt like nothing abnormal just happened, I was comfortable with it. The teacher then said to the class that she asked me before if I'd rather skip reading out loud and I said no because I'm not hiding from it anymore and letting it hold me back and everyone clapped and I was like :/ and didn't really like it. I was just doing what I do, as I normally do it, I'd rather it have not been some special event lol.

Hey man,

They were clapping because (at least in their eyes (& mine)), it takes courage to do what you did... It's the way to be mate; don't think about it...

I want to be more in that mindset, more often

Maybe you didn't need or want the praise, but I'm also giving it to you!! Good on you, thanks for sharing

Cool story Chris. I like your comment about not wanting it to be a special event. I like that mentality. Cool stuff
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid" - Einstein
    "All things are possible for the one who believes" - Jesus
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand" - Vonnegut

That's the way to go!

I understand why you felt :/ but I can also understand why the class clapped. They know the amount of courage is must have taken to get up there.

You're on the right path. Well done!