Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gave first Toastmasters' Club speech.

that's brilliant!

Congratulations!

I've been considering giving TM a try, but somehow never got around to doing it. Strangely, public speaking is not my most feared situation. I find it less 'stuttery' than everyday situations or even talking to a friend.

Really great achievment! I've thought of giving it try many times, but so far I've alway chickened out
    My respect to you Steric

I've been apart of Toastmasters for a while and for me it's the only thing that helps me stay fluent. When I leave a meeting after a speech I always feel like the man.
    [URL="http://www.facebook.com/groups/98233252577/"]Click to join the Stuttering Community official Facebook Group![/URL]

Hi,

It is great to hear that you do well in Toastmasters, we all need the inspirtational stories.

How long after you have done Toastmaster do you stay fluent? Does it last until your next speech and what is it that you understand to be happening for you?

I've done only two speeches so far, so I really can't say. I still stutter when I do speeches. But my experience with Skype practice is that it generally gets me used to some 'Fluency Shaping' techniques that I'm trying to use. I've noticed that after Skype practice, using those techniques I'm able to get through blocks more often.

Skype practice also helped in the sense that it put more stress on me when I practiced. When you are talking to someone in everyday life, you are stressed if you stutter. You want to practice your techniques when you are under similar stress because you have to use them under those conditions. Toastmasters puts even more stress on me, and that's what I want.

So I hope to get used to using my techniques under 'field conditions' and also to get used to speaking with the stutter. I'm not expecting fast results. I guess it'll take a long time. I've seen videos of other people who stutter give virtually flawless speeches. I don't know them in person, so I don't know whether it's helped them completely get over their stutter. But at least they are able to give a prepared speech flawlessly, and that's a goal I want to achieve. Researching ,organizing and presenting the speech is fun, so I have plenty of motivation to keep attending Toastmaters'.

Oh, I just realized that maybe perry was asking that question from henryk.

Quote Originally Posted by steric View Post
    Oh, I just realized that maybe perry was asking that question from henryk.
    lol good on you

Good for you.

I was a member of toastmasters many years ago. I learned a lot from them. It was great practice and it gave me a lot of confidence.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by steric View Post
    Hi guys,

I gave my first Toastmasters' Club speech the Thursday before the last (14th). Volunteered for another one this Thursday. Hope I have time to prepare.

Didn't have much time to prepare for the last one. The title I chose was "Why I joined the Toastmaters' Club". Managed to compile a list of points just before going there, LOL. Would have liked to prepare better but didn't want to wait because I put it off once before.

These people are the best public speakers you could find. Their speeches are very well organized and the presentation is just mesmerizing to watch. The environment is very competitive. And then I bust in with my badly organized speech, LOL. I stuttered of course. But they were all very welcoming and helpful. The evaluator even complimented me on organizing my speech well. She probably made that up because she had nothing to compliment me on, LOL.

Anyways, it's not as hard as I thought it was. I was about to pee my pants before I started the speech. But they were all very nice.

Have to make up another one this Thursday. Not that scared anymore after the first one. But have to make this one interesting, like their speeches are.

Did another presentation for the school astronomy journal club yesterday. I had some 'near blocks', but covered them up with breathing or changing the words in the sentence I was saying. Don't know whether doing that is a good thing though. Oh well, one step at a time.

The two days of Toastmasters' I've attended has definitely helped. I used to sweat and shake while doing a presentation. Today I was much calmer.