Thread: Oral exams for a job

Default Oral exams for a job

Hey people, let me tell you my successful story. I am a middle stutter, but sometimes I have big blocks, it is horrible. I have all the trouble you all have/had, like running away from making phone calls, having a hard time saying my name…
    I have a very well paid job in the government (I’m from Brazil), and to get one of those public jobs (that usually pays much more than private jobs) we have to make many tests, exams, we study for years and compete against other people who are studying too. Well, 3 years ago I was studying for this job that I always wanted and suddenly I was informed that now people would have to make oral exams, besides the regular right/wrong questions and writing exams. Of course I panicked, I cried the whole day, it was horrible, I saw my dream running away from me. How could I, a stutterer, make it against non-stutters? Well, I could have given up but I didn’t. I started seeing a speech-therapist only to do the exam. The therapy did not help my daily speech (I still stutter as always), but I don’t know why and how I could simulate the exam with the therapist and I were 85%, 90% fluent during the sessions. In the day of the oral exams, I did it. I even got a 95 grade (in one of the exams, there were 4, each one with 3 different "judges") out of 100. I really don’t know what happened there that I could talk almost 100% fluent in front of the 3 "judges" (I don't know other word for this). One of the things the therapist told me was to pretend that I’m not myself, make a fake voice (not too fake so it is ridiculous), speak like I was acting. Well, it worked, I made it and now I'm in the job for a year. Many people who did not stutter failed the oral exams. By the way, there were 24.000 people competing for 86 spots. This is my story of success, every time I feel bad about my stuttering I think about this episode and feel better. I could have given up, but I didn’t.
    But, even though I survived and passed this big obstacle that was given to me, I still don't like ordering pizza on the phone.
    Last edited by MelissaH; 03-17-2011 at 01:01 AM.

CONGRATLATIONS AND A GREAT STORY OF ACHIEVEMENT. Your stutter will conquer

very well done!

Great story! Congratulations!

Amazing! Love to hear your story and Positive thinking! Regarding the changing of your voice, it certainly distract our mind from stuttering but I'm sure the affect doesn't last longer. One should then become conscious of the change of tone and starts to stutter again, But if it helped you then go away Good Luck

Well done Melissa!!!! THIS IS AN EPIC WIN!

if you can do it once then there is nothing stopping you from doing it again and again and again. *and to think most other situations should be pale in comparison