Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One, slightly tainted, success.

Spurs ftw
    My Da' supported Burnley for some reason he never explained.
    He introduced me to soccer by taking me to see Tottenham at White Hart Lane.
    We lost to Aston Villa, 2-0! Even with Jimmy Greaves.
    I remember a goal-less draw with Chelsea. So boring

Thinking back on the "success story" I mentioned above reminded me of another moment in my life when I felt like I had conquered some personal fear. I don't know if I'd necessarily call it a "success" since I did still have a few stuttering issues in this particular experience, but it felt like a success because I actually had the confidence to have the experience at all.

It was last Fourth of July, when my wife and a couple of friends of ours decided to make a fun little trip to Roswell, New Mexico for the big UFO festival they have each year. We discovered that actor Brian Thompson (the Alien Bounty Hunter in the X-Files, among other roles) was going to be there, signing autographs.

Now if this had happened when I was younger, say in high school, I never would have had the slightest amount of courage to even approach him... let alone dare utter a word. But that was not the case on this occassion and because I actually found the courage to approach him we ended up having an hour long conversation, in which I was an active participant.

I did have a few blocks here and there, a few repetitions as well... but the funny thing is that I didn't even seem to notice them or really care much when they happened. And to think of the experience I would have missed had I let age old fears take hold, as I so often did when I was younger.

I would have missed one freaking cool autograph, not to mention the surreal experience of having Brian Thompson give me marital advice. *lol*

Default Challenging myself

I took another leap about two weeks ago, probably the biggest one I've tried to make in years. For quite awhile now one of the small side jobs that I do here at the bank where I work is to write radio ads for them. And on a lark, with a strange fit of courage and bravery fueling the way, I requested the chance to record the ad myself.

I don't know how it will go, whether I will be able to recreate the fluency I have when reciting the ad to myself... but I'm now strangely determined to try. Unforunately the president of the bank decided that he wanted to do the ad himself this time around, but they swore that I'd get the chance on the next ad.

Now I just have to wait and hope that my chance comes along.