Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Completely Fluent.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    I think that you've answered your own question. Being drunk usually (not always) results in low base-level tension. Periods of dysfluency are usually the result of high base-level tension. Base-level tension is the total of all the various stresses impacting on your speaking system. So it follows that, for many if not for most of us, stress management is a huge part of stuttering management.

Some PWSs unfortunately also have a large component of learned (conditioned) stuttering, so that stress management does not have the same beneficial effect.
    I was intentionally answering my own question. Im only speaking from a personal point of view and what worked for me. I know there are varied types and levels of stuttering

I have to admit this sounds pretty far out to me. But if it's working for you then great. It's too bad there are some who will attack you if you tell people you are fluent or almost fluent. Giving support to each other is great but it shouldn't be a pity party or attack those who have success.

I've had much more success with mechanical therapies. I do have to think about my speech but not that much. It's just become a habit. I'm not 100% fluent but I'm fluent to the point that most people would never notice any mild stutter that occasionally happens and speech never is a consideration whether I do something or not. So I'm happy with that.

Keep up the good work and tell us more. I'm always open to learn more.

Quote Originally Posted by crow View Post
    Ah yes: I had forgotten about what this thread was about.
    So here's an update.
    I am still completely fluent, after a year and a half. The most disfluent I have been in all that time was when speaking, via skype, to another forum member, and even that was almost beneath the threshold of being noticeable.
    Take heart! Fluency is entirely possible.
    Once you have it, it is permanent.

Oh: an afterthought...
    Please don't try to kill a part of yourself.
    Take your stutter out from behind the wheel, and strap it in to the baby-seat in the back. Make sure it comes to no harm. Then get on with the serious business of driving the car.

I have never met anyone 100% fluent . I must be mixing in the wrong circles lol

Ha, aint that the truth! It's funny how disfluent people who don't stutter really are. Of course we assume they are 100% fluent.

Quote Originally Posted by grantm View Post
    I have never met anyone 100% fluent . I must be mixing in the wrong circles lol

Quote Originally Posted by ron555 View Post
    Ha, aint that the truth! It's funny how disfluent people who don't stutter really are. Of course we assume they are 100% fluent.
    Some of the worst I have seen are politicians when they present lol.

That's why I say I am more fluent than fluent people: I am.
    It's amazing that now I am so fluent, I notice the crap I never used to notice, in people who can speak.
    Most sentences seem to be made up of filler-noises and repetitions.
    "Um, ah, it's, um, it's like, sort of, um, a bit like, ah, that's to say, um that what um I mean, ah, is um, um, ah, like, well, you know what I mean, right?"

Smile

Very true.

After being in Toastmasters for awhile where you practice not saying ah, umm, etc. I used to cringe at the so called "fluent" speakers using them constantly. I remember hearing someone speak in a business meeting and counting silently to myself the number of times someone said "ah" in a 15 minute talk. I think it was around 47 :-) later I heard from several other people in the audience who counted also. This wasn't planned. It was just so distracting that it was spontaneous to count.

That's why I say I am more fluent than fluent people: I am.
    It's amazing that now I am so fluent, I notice the crap I never used to notice, in people who can speak.
    Most sentences seem to be made up of filler-noises and repetitions.
    "Um, ah, it's, um, it's like, sort of, um, a bit like, ah, that's to say, um that what um I mean, ah, is um, um, ah, like, well, you know what I mean, right?"

Oh: an afterthought...
    Please don't try to kill a part of yourself.
    Take your stutter out from behind the wheel, and strap it in to the baby-seat in the back. Make sure it comes to no harm. Then get on with the serious business of driving the car.
    I like this...becoming objective rather than subjective...I have sometimes tried to view myself from an objective point of view when speaking and it has helped fluency.

For example, in my mind I see myself from the back or the front of the room...It cuts out all the 'chatter' and negative mind processes...you are basically observing yourself with no expectations. You are focused on yourself and what you are saying but without the mind games and as a result listening to the other person and not just trying to read their minds for what they think of you if you stutter...It's very hard to master. I would love to explore this further

What would you like to explore, if you still want to?
    Still fluent, after all these (two) years...

I love being fluent. The ability to stand in front of a crowd, stutter your head off but still get the message across and be respected is bliss