Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Completely Fluent.

I really felt the crow had a lot to offer as well. However, some members really clashed with not believing what he was saying to be possible. It was disappointing to see him go. I wish the forum could have been a bit more open minded. The second someone comes here and says anything about making really significant progress, there are those that get upset. I hope he returns and we are more willing to listen and not jump to conclusions. He certainly was trying to help. I do believe that tremendous progress is possible. I believe it to be a very multi-faceted issue which must be dealt with accordingly. I think crow had experienced that and wanted to share it. After all, I know people personally who have really transformed themselves.

But just so ya know Rodge, he hasn't been here since we ran him off a little while back.

Edit:
    I seriously just looked and I guess he is back. Welcome back Crow!
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid" - Einstein
    "All things are possible for the one who believes" - Jesus
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand" - Vonnegut

What a nice chap you are.
    Thank you.
    Nobody ran me off, though:
    I get sick and tired sometimes, is all

Just read this thread... its pretty interesting.

You make a great point about the quest for fluency.

I feel that I am the problem and stuttering is the problem manifested. Solving the problem within myself would solve my stutter. The trouble is I feel like the problem is a rubix cube.

If you don't mind I have a question. Did you ever have a problem getting yourself 'out there' because of whatever feelings you had about your stutter? If so how did you over come this?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Did you ever have a problem getting yourself 'out there' because of whatever feelings you had about your stutter? If so how did you over come this?
    That made me laugh. A wry laugh too...
    How can I explain just how dire my stutter was?
    In short: YES!!!

I overcame this by overcoming my stutter, after more than half a lifetime.
    But overcoming is really the wrong word.
    I think it couldn't wait to get away from me, and was overjoyed when I finally let it.

This is both good and bad: I sometimes wonder if it isn't alive and well in somebody else's vocal chords now.
    Damn things are hard to kill!

So do your bit for humanity: hang onto your stutter for as long as you can bear it, thus saving some other poor innocent from the ordeal.
    Then dump it, knowing you have done all you could
    Last edited by crow; 01-20-2011 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crow View Post
    I have recently refined an idea that has been bubbling away for some time...

We know, don't we, how clever we are?
    And most of us actually are.
    I suspect that that, in itself, is a factor involved in stuttering.
    How frustrating it is when we are unable to display all that brainpower to others.

But why bother?
    I mean: why should we need to show anyone anything, anyway?
    I will not answer that one
    But think about it.

I have lately decided to regard myself as a fool. Seriously!
    See for yourself:
    [url]http://oneflyingfool.blogspot.com/[/url]

Because when you do this, the pressure is off.
    If anybody takes you seriously, at all, then you are ahead of the game.
    And that is the secret:
    To stop taking yourself seriously.
    And stop demanding that others do, too.
    I like this perspective alot ..... its profound !

Quote Originally Posted by freethinker View Post
    I like this perspective alot ..... its profound !
    Yes it certainly is

Interesting thread.

I actually achieved fluency for about 9 to 10 months a few years back by changing the way I thought about my stutter and the way I interacted with people.

The only time I was fluent before that was whenever I was drunk...Dont worry Im not going to advocate that everyone becomes an alcoholic! but the fact was/is whenever I had a few drinks I was able to achieve a very high level of fluency. This got me thinking....why was this?

I concluded that when I was drunk, I didnt care what other people thought...so if I did stutter, I didnt care, this in turn improved my fluency.

I was then able to replicate this attitude in normal daily situations. I would be alot more talkative to people and interact socially with people, not caring if I stuttered or not. This improved my fluency immensely. However, I lost fluency over time as other factors in my life at the time increased my stress level and led to a relapse

Anyway, what Im getting at is that Crow has a very good point. That it is possible to 'transform' the way we think about our stuttering. I found it but was not able to hold onto it. If I could somehow master a way of not letting other stressful factors in my life affect the way I think about stuttering I believe I can overcome it

By the way, Crow...have you spent years meditating in India by any chance?
    Last edited by Bass Cadet; 03-26-2011 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cadet View Post
    By the way, Crow...have you spent years meditating in India by any chance?
    India, no. Mexico, yes. Years, no. As long as necessary, yes.
    Long enough to slip away from my ego and experience life without it.
    People go on about drugs. Pffft.
    The high you can reach just by breathing is the highest high of all.
    Thanks for you comment

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cadet View Post
    The only time I was fluent before that was whenever I was drunk... why was this? ... I lost fluency over time as other factors in my life at the time increased my stress level and led to a relapse... If I could somehow master a way of not letting other stressful factors in my life affect the way I think about stuttering I believe I can overcome it.
    I think that you've answered your own question. Being drunk usually (not always) results in low base-level tension. Periods of dysfluency are usually the result of high base-level tension. Base-level tension is the total of all the various stresses impacting on your speaking system. So it follows that, for many if not for most of us, stress management is a huge part of stuttering management.

Some PWSs unfortunately also have a large component of learned (conditioned) stuttering, so that stress management does not have the same beneficial effect.

Ah yes: I had forgotten about what this thread was about.
    So here's an update.
    I am still completely fluent, after a year and a half. The most disfluent I have been in all that time was when speaking, via skype, to another forum member, and even that was almost beneath the threshold of being noticeable.
    Take heart! Fluency is entirely possible.
    Once you have it, it is permanent.

Oh: an afterthought...
    Please don't try to kill a part of yourself.
    Take your stutter out from behind the wheel, and strap it in to the baby-seat in the back. Make sure it comes to no harm. Then get on with the serious business of driving the car.