Thread: Does Everyone Stutter?

Default Does Everyone Stutter?

Are hesitations, prolongations and repetitions part and parcel of normal speech? Speech Therapist Mort Cooper seems to think so in his series of You tube videos "The Game of Stuttering".
    He calls them bobbles, so when does a bobble become a stutter? I am coming to the opinion that it is when we try to interfere with the natural process of speech. Early in our learning to speak process we for some reason became self conscious about these bobbles which are very common in children. In trying to avoid these bobbles we became experts at pushing the word out and as we became aware of that behaviour we tried ducking and diving and if that failed we resorted to pushing again. Eventually becoming experts at interference.
    No, I am not trying to sell anything!
    The point being that all these learned behaviours to try and avoid the bobble require conscious effort. We have become so adept at stuttering that it seems we are doing it unconsciously but deep down we are aware of that turkey feeling! My thinking is we have to remind our brain how to speak as nature intended bobbles and all but do it well away from the conversational situation. My solution was visualization as used by sports people to lift their game, literally seeing and feeling myself talking with easy breath and a loose relaxed mouth. For more detail please visit my webpage www.stutterfreesteve.weebly.com
    Stuttering therapy is also mostly interference with the natural process of speech as it tries to ease the word out. We could for arguments sake teach ourselves to be a Ventriloquist and sneak the word out. Some people even resort to becoming someone completely different to get the word out. John Wayne became the cowboy with a drawl, Marilyn Munroe the breathless femme fatale. Joe Biden became a politician, bless him.
    The point being that all these learned behaviours to try and avoid the bobble require conscious effort. We have become so adept at stuttering that it seems we are doing it unconsciously but deep down we are aware of that turkey feeling! My thinking is we have to remind our brain how to speak as nature intended bobbles and all but do it well away from the conversational situation. My solution was visualization as used by sports people to lift their game, literally seeing and feeling myself talking with easy breath and a loose relaxed mouth. For more detail please visit my webpage www.stutterfreesteve.weebly.com
    No, I am not trying to sell anything!

OOPS! I tried to copy and paste into the program, looked ok when I hit post but has come out a bit scrambled.
    Not too disimilar to stuttering when we it speak it all turns to custard.
    So what did I do? I interfered thats what I did, caused the software to malfunction.
    That is exactly my message interference does not work. Our hardware is fine we can all speak fluently in certain situations even if it is only a word or two.
    Yoga techniques can remind us to use the software as our maker intended curbing the anxiety and impatient interference of the operator.