Thread: Speech Tonight...

Default Speech Tonight...

I have been taking a public speaking course at a local college just for fun this semester and today is my last speech. I've got to say that I think my biggest accomplishment is that it is barely on my mind. As a matter of fact for most of the day I have forgotten that I even have to give it tonight. I still get pretty nervous at the time of delivering but the build up has decreased dramatically from my younger years. I think that's pretty big. Just thought I'd share.
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid" - Einstein
    "All things are possible for the one who believes" - Jesus
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand" - Vonnegut

Hey Southpaw, thanks for sharing. I'm glad to hear that you are experiencing good improvements towards your speech. I have been having a very similar experience as well. I had to do so many presentations this past year that my fear towards presenting decreased. I still stutter when presenting but I don't get anxious until a few hours before it. When I was younger, I used to get nervous a week before I had to present.

Thanks istutter. Speeches still can be fairly difficult but knowing I have to give one at a future date does not occupy my thoughts until it gets really close to the time. I was the same way as you in my younger years. If I had to give a speech in 3 weeks or whatever, it would be in the back of my mind all the way until then. It's nice that it's not that way anymore.

I have to say though that it is easier for me to give a speech to certain audiences still. If I had to give a speech to a lot of people that I knew very well I would get a lot more nervous I think than just to some classmates that I'm not that tight with. So, there's still improvement to be made.

Just an update though. The speech last night went pretty well. I stuttered some but not that bad. It was a speech that had to be be between 5:30-6:30 and mine was 6:21 and I covered all the material. So I was able to hit that time constraint which to me says my speech control was pretty good. I got a 195 out of 200 on it. I was relatively pleased overall with my performance. I think I am getting an A in the class too.
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid" - Einstein
    "All things are possible for the one who believes" - Jesus
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand" - Vonnegut

WooP! People fear public speaking more than they do death. It just shows what an amazing achievement this is.

The thing that stands out for me is that you shrugged off stuttering slightly. Slight stuttering is normal and considered acceptable. *lol, i even force myself sometimes to have a slight stutter or throw in a couple of "Ums" just to keep it real so that it seems more off the cuff

Congratulations to Southpaw and istutter! Very courageous and impressive. These are huge milestones, I hope you celebrated these successes! You are obviously well on your way to getting the better of stuttering. You can be truly proud of these achievements for the rest of your lives.