Thread: Stuttering Is A Positive

Default Stuttering Is A Positive

It's been a while since I posted here (about 8 months), and while my life has been the same in terms of goals, demeanor and my overall personality, my perception on stuttering has changed.

I was obsessed with my stuttering for the 17 years that I stuttered (from 7 through 24). I'd be lying if I said that even today it isn't on my mind when I first meet people, and that when I stutter I don't secretly hope the other person doesn't assume I'm a nervous idiot.

However, my take on stuttering as a trait of mine has changed. Frankly, I'm grateful that I stutter.

Over the past 8 months, the small tutoring business that I've started has been doing very well. I consult with people on the phone daily, both tutors and potential students across the US. My communication is how I make money, and even if stuttering sometimes interferes, I am pretty damn good at selling. I have also helped people score in the 99th percentile on this test, some even better than what I score, all through speaking and describing logic.

Additionally, I have been admitted into UVa Law, which is one of the 10 best law schools in the country. I had been trying to get into a top 14 school for a while, and was not always the best student so my admission off of the waitlist required extroversion, taking initiative and communication with incredibly successful people who I think are just awesome human beings, and therefore quite intimidating.

With the stress of law school applications done and my fear of the legal economy where nothing is a sure thing, I started to pay attention to more superficial matters as looking good never hurts. I have since gotten into the best shape of my life, veins on the biceps, abs, all chubbiness gone.

I say stuttering is a positive, because frankly right now I am kicking ass at life. There is no challenge that any person any where can overcome that I can't. I am not a perfect man. I am smart, but not a genius. I come up with good things to say, but cannot speak fluently. That said there is nothing I am less than adequate, and therefore, nothing I cannot do.

I believe that the will power and grit that it takes to do something as simple as ordering food as a stutterer day in and day out builds a character through humiliation, struggle and determination that people who don't stutter never had to develop.

From a character standpoint, I have learned that people who struggle with stuttering when compared with the general public are analogous to people who struggle at the gym compared to people who don't go to the gym. They are stronger, tougher and yet more compassionate than most.

When I think of where I can wind up in society, I have to remind myself I stutter so I don't get too big of an ego. What stuttering has forced me to become in order to succeed despite of it has made me the exact man I dreamed of being minus the fluent speech.

Congratulations! I have recently come to a similar revelation. As a PWS, you are always putting yourself outside your comfort zone. As a result, you learn a lot about you as a person. I know many people who are fluent who take things for granted and skate throughout life. I have been exploring different aspects of my life for the last six months and it has been life changing. If you haven't read this book yet, I would like to recommend you read Psycho-Cybernetics by Maxwell Martz and Redefining Stuttering by John Harrison. These have offered me great insight and I believe that would help you too.

Good luck and congrats again!

Talking

I am very happy for you. You didn't let stuttering stop you from achieving great things. Well done .

I often find that not knowing what to say is worse than the stutter itself in my experiences. I find myself in situations that even if I didn't stutter I wouldn't know what to say.

Its great what you have done and have not let stuttering limit yourself in life.

I agree with you that there are positives with stuttering. Its made me to be a better listener, more understanding, more accepting of other people, even more compassionate like you mentioned.

I also think what if I didn't stutter? Would I be one of those loud mouth arrogant jerks that says nothing meaningful? But instead I do stutter and have a quiet confidence.

@rer262 I'm also successful academically and I never thought I wouldn't be because of stuttering.

But considering stuttering is largely genetic, if it was positive there would be many more people doing it. On the other hand, it has pretty much the highest incidence of any genetic disorder so it obviously it isn't going to be the worst thing in the world. I have a hard time considering something that can be used as an excuse for why I didn't get a job, a girl, into school a positive thing, but I agree that it forces you to be get used to being ambitious, independent, and taking risks which are very positive things.

I think you may as well use something you have as a positive. It is all in the mindset. I see meet so many people who complain about their stuttering and how it is holding them back yet they to not take a step forward and use it to help their life. Too many people holding out for the magic cure pill. I use my stuttering to help me teach and connect to people.
    [URL="http://www.mnsu.edu/comdis/isad15/papers/meredith15.html"]
    http://www.mnsu.edu/comdis/isad15/papers/meredith15.html[/URL]

It's been a while since I posted here (about 8 months), and while my life has been the same in terms of goals, demeanor and my overall personality, my perception on stuttering has changed.