PDA

View Full Version : Cannabis and stuttering.

michael68
11-22-2010, 06:18 AM
Hi, I'm 15 years old and have been stuttering for as long as I can remember. I've attended speech therapy in school up until about 6th grade. I mostly stutter around people I'm close with such as family members and close friends and experience blocks.

One thing I have found that has helped reduce my stuttering, besides a healthy diet and exercise (HIGHLY recommend this), is cannabis. It has helped me psychologically and physically, although being young it probably isn't the best idea to use excessively.

I can't use it that often as I have no income at the moment and my parents probably aren't totally fine with it. Thankfully I live in a state that allows medical use so I will have access to that when I'm older.

I've done my own independent research on the cultivation, and both the medicinal and recreational use of cannabis so please don't use this thread for only saying it kills brain cells or causes cancer (quite the opposite).

Green
11-30-2010, 08:23 PM
Hum, I've tried cannabis once in Amsterdam, didn't seem to improve my speech much...

Ryojin
12-01-2010, 05:45 AM
Sometimes smoking helps my speech, sometimes it makes it worse. However when I do smoke, I don't have "medical" in mind. ;] I'm %110 for the legalization of marijuana regardless of whether or not it has medical applications; which it does. Many people resort to cannabis as the only herb that works to help with whatever illness/disorder they have, and the government still wants to interfere. People that support criminalization of marijuana support a fruitless and violent drug war, infringement of our rights as humans to do whatever we like with our own bodies, and think it's reasonable to lock up both young and old with violent criminals for putting FLAME to a PLANT. I can't even believe how ridiculous that sounds. It's a complete joke..

But yea, if the ganja helps with your speech, that's all the more reason to go for it. However I don't think it's a good idea to smoke alot before your fully "matured", till around 20 years old. Weed may increase the risk of psychosis in people who are already genetically pre-disposed to the condition. I didn't even smoke till I was 19.

Cheers m8

Tom83B
12-01-2010, 02:46 PM
I agree as well with the legalisation. I haven't tried it so I don't know if it helps my speech. But I think it may help you to be more relaxed. I think there are better ways to do that though...
Say whatever you want, it won't change the fact that cannabis may be harmfull...

Otorongo
12-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Water, too, can be harmful.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2262683/Man-dies-after-drinking-10-litres-of-water-in-eight-hours.html

Tom83B
12-01-2010, 05:37 PM
Water, too, can be harmful.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2262683/Man-dies-after-drinking-10-litres-of-water-in-eight-hours.html

Wow, I'll remember that :D. Once I drunk more than four liters of water in about 3 hours (and I was indeed really hyperactive).

I agree that probably too much of anything can be harmful, but still... It's just my personal opinion that marijuana is a drug and it shouldn't be used for regular stress relieve. As to using it as a medicine against stuttering - I'd almost say that I'd prefer being called "the one who stutters" instead od "the weed-man"...

grantm
12-01-2010, 10:25 PM
It may simply give you a percieved positive effect and or calm you slightly, or like alcohol perhaps cause your speech to slur a little and smooth out. Just a masking agent really and you should not use it as a crutch. Eventually the crutchwill break or you will forget the point completely about why you first started to use.

Mike
12-02-2010, 10:11 AM
I agree as well with the legalisation. I haven't tried it so I don't know if it helps my speech. But I think it may help you to be more relaxed. I think there are better ways to do that though...
Say whatever you want, it won't change the fact that cannabis may be harmfull...

Do you drink alcohol? Because alcohol is considered is much more harmfull then softdrugs like cannabis.

Tom83B
12-02-2010, 03:04 PM
Do you drink alcohol? Because alcohol is considered is much more harmfull then softdrugs like cannabis.

I do drink in a sensible amount, but I think of it more as of a special occasion - I don't drink regularly in order to improve my speech. That's where I think the flaw in this plan is.

Otorongo
12-02-2010, 04:16 PM
I've heard of PWS who have become alcoholics because alcohol made them more fluent.
So maybe it's a good thing that it has the opposite effect on me.

Cannabis is not physically addictive the way alcohol is, and some medical cannabis users (not for stuttering) benefit from it at small doses that are not severely intoxicating, i.e. they are able to function normally at work, etc. I can imagine that it *might* be helpful to some PWS, where such use is legal. But then, when it comes to young people, I would suggest that they try other ways of dealing with their stuttering problem before resorting to paliative medicine.

mgqhorses2
12-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Anything that makes me feel more confident helps me stutter less. With my fluent friends, the more they drink, the more they stutter. I'm the opposite. The more i drink, the less i stutter...i am a firm beleiver that fluency for some people is HIGHLY emotional. It is for me. And when i'm drunk, i could care less if i stutter or not...probably the same when you're high.

stutteringrodge
01-17-2011, 12:49 AM
I'd say cannabis is addictive... I dont smoke it anymore, but did everyday for about 8 years (not excessively, but at least one joint a day) I loved it at first, helped me with my speech in some kind of way, but in the latter years i got paranoid, quitting was very hard for me, a real addiction, no matter what people say. I don't drink alcohol so can't comment on this :) Add me to skype if you want to practice speech anytime queeg500rd

stutteringrodge
01-17-2011, 12:52 AM
One more thing, ive tried ecstasy on 3 occasions in the last 10 years, and i became totally fluent, im not joking and dont condone taking class A drugs but the feeling was the most amazing feeling i have ever experienced!! I was free, couldn't shut me up! :) but of course this is not a soloution, but it does prove to me that its all in the mind, our stutters... Also tried cocaine twice, same effect, maybe its a confidence thing, take care guys/gals

Jason
01-17-2011, 01:15 AM
Illicit drugs offer many opportunities for fluency however they have a huge number of side effects which to be honest should make you completely avoid them. Add to the fact that most of the time you have no idea what the quality or dosage of the drug you are taking is... its a dangerous game.

I see any medication as a fairly extreme solution to a stutter... considering that there are a wide range of therapies that over marked improvements in both confidence and fluency you have to wonder how much they are needed.

If you feel medication is the answer you should visit your doctor.. not a drug dealer :)

stutteringrodge
01-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Hey Jason, thanks for the reply mate. To get things clear. I never used these drugs for my speech. I've tried about 3 (individual) E tablets at home parties, together with friends, listening to music and drinking water. I was always against drugs, but wanted to experience one. I'm just saying that for those 10-12 hours that the drug took affect, i was totally and completely fluent. It just made me realize that stuttering cannot be neurological. Even after that first one, I never tried another one for about 4 years, and again that was not for my speech. My last one was 5 years ago. It was just an observation, like i said i don't condone any drugs.

Jason
01-17-2011, 11:24 AM
My last reply was directed to stutters in general, not to you in particular. ;)

Otorongo
01-17-2011, 11:56 AM
I'm just saying that for those 10-12 hours that the drug took affect, i was totally and completely fluent. It just made me realize that stuttering cannot be neurological.
It doesn't prove stuttering cannot be neurological. In fact, there are many neurological disorders that respond to drugs/medication - Tourette Syndrome, ADHD, OCD, certain forms of depression, epilepsy, migraines, cluster headaches, to name a few.

Illicit drugs offer many opportunities for fluency however they have a huge number of side effects which to be honest should make you completely avoid them.
It would seem prudent not to make generalized statements about a substance based solely on its legal status. Laws are politics, not science.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/dec/05/government-scientific-advice-drugs-policy?&

stutteringrodge
01-17-2011, 12:11 PM
My last reply was directed to stutters in general, not to you in particular. ;)

Sorry buddy, i was a bit on the defensive there wasn't i :) in that case, i agree totally!!

Jason
01-17-2011, 03:29 PM
It would seem prudent not to make generalized statements about a substance based solely on its legal status. Laws are politics, not science.

It wasn't a 'generalized statement'... it was fact. Going to your doctor to get a substance means that unless someone makes a catastrophic error you know what the dosage is and what the substance contains.

An illicit drug has no legal place of sale, it has no body monitoring the creation, sale or distribution. You do not know the origin of the drug, what the drug contains, whether you are actually being given the drug you asked for.. you do not even know the dosage of the drug you are ingesting.

The substances themselves are neither here nor there. Many banned substances have medicinal uses and there is very much a case for legalising all or at least the majority of drugs. Prohibition has failed. However until the day licensed people are distributing these substances they should be avoided. Its common sense. Thus my statement stands.

Mike
01-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Hey Jason, thanks for the reply mate. To get things clear. I never used these drugs for my speech. I've tried about 3 (individual) E tablets at home parties, together with friends, listening to music and drinking water. I was always against drugs, but wanted to experience one. I'm just saying that for those 10-12 hours that the drug took affect, i was totally and completely fluent. It just made me realize that stuttering cannot be neurological. Even after that first one, I never tried another one for about 4 years, and again that was not for my speech. My last one was 5 years ago. It was just an observation, like i said i don't condone any drugs.

So how do you explain the scientific proof that stuttering does have a neurological cause?

stutteringrodge
01-17-2011, 05:08 PM
So how do you explain the scientific proof that stuttering does have a neurological cause?

I stand mistaken. I've not heard anything of Proof. But thanks so much for bringing this to my attention :) Could you send me the link, i'd be interested to read about this, thanks Mike.

Otorongo
01-17-2011, 07:43 PM
Going to your doctor to get a substance means that unless someone makes a catastrophic error you know what the dosage is and what the substance contains.

An illicit drug has no legal place of sale, it has no body monitoring the creation, sale or distribution. You do not know the origin of the drug, what the drug contains, whether you are actually being given the drug you asked for.. you do not even know the dosage of the drug you are ingesting.
I see your point, but the world is not black and white. For example, knowing the dosage is a matter of educating yourself. Also, to relate to the 'drug' from the original post - namely cannabis - I would have more trust in a plant I grew myself than some "body monitoring the creation, sale or distribution" of experimental chemicals sponsored by the Big Pharma.

Jason
01-17-2011, 09:16 PM
For example, knowing the dosage is a matter of educating yourself.

If you grow it yourself and know what you are growing then I agree. If you are doing anything else then you are completely wrong. You have no idea what is in it or what the percentage is. Even with cannabis, the difference in potency between a weak strain and a strong strain is something to beware of.

I fail to see where banned substances come in when looking for a sensible and prolonged solution to stammering. It seems to me that such a path is akin to depending on alcohol and completely unsustainable.

There is a world of things around that can help your fluency. From pharmaceuticals to gadgets to general therapies. I just don't understand why someone would jump to the bottom of that list and pick up Cannabis...

Morten
01-18-2011, 03:19 AM
i would say yes, cannabis works at the same level as alcohol to reduce stuttering. but i do not think its the cannabis or alcohol directly, i think its bechause you changes your mood and makes you care less? :P

Otorongo
01-18-2011, 11:46 AM
i would say yes, cannabis works at the same level as alcohol to reduce stuttering. but i do not think its the cannabis or alcohol directly, i think its bechause you changes your mood and makes you care less? :P
Alcohol makes me stutter more. In fact, it renders me mute, even at just one beer. I don't know about cannabis.

I've also found I'm more self-conscious about my speech when I drink, as the alcohol bloats my ego, though it may make me less self-conscious about other things.

Otorongo
01-18-2011, 04:07 PM
If you grow it yourself and know what you are growing then I agree. If you are doing anything else then you are completely wrong.
I can think of other sources I would consider reliable and safe, e.g.wildcrafting my medicines or sourcing them from a trusted friend, a commercial vendor or a reputable doctor / treatment provider.

Morten
01-19-2011, 02:31 AM
Alcohol makes me stutter more. In fact, it renders me mute, even at just one beer. I don't know about cannabis.

I've also found I'm more self-conscious about my speech when I drink, as the alcohol bloats my ego, though it may make me less self-conscious about other things.

Its the exact oposite for me, i stutter less when i drink alcohol.
Every stutterer is different i guess.

crow
01-19-2011, 04:32 AM
I don't drink alcohol, smoke dope, or tobacco.
Then again, I don't stutter, either.

But when I did, none of the above helped even a bit.
They probably made it a great deal worse, not to mention the crappy lifestyle they entailed.

Isn't the idea to be healthy?
Maybe it isn't.
What do I know?

Miko
01-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Hi, I'm 15 years old and have been stuttering for as long as I can remember. I've attended speech therapy in school up until about 6th grade. I mostly stutter around people I'm close with such as family members and close friends and experience blocks.

One thing I have found that has helped reduce my stuttering, besides a healthy diet and exercise (HIGHLY recommend this), is cannabis. It has helped me psychologically and physically, although being young it probably isn't the best idea to use excessively.

I can't use it that often as I have no income at the moment and my parents probably aren't totally fine with it. Thankfully I live in a state that allows medical use so I will have access to that when I'm older.

I've done my own independent research on the cultivation, and both the medicinal and recreational use of cannabis so please don't use this thread for only saying it kills brain cells or causes cancer (quite the opposite).

I have tried this "remedy" and as much as I donīt mind occasional use it is NOT the way to go! You do not need any other medicaments/plants/fluids to be more fluent. Everything is inside you. What it did with me was that I had less energy and my speech got after some time less fluent and I became less confident. But everyone has his choise...